October 5, 2009

Stranger in a Strangeland

The honeymoon period has worn off a bit but I’m still in love with mi amor, Buenos Aires. But dang is he moody, one day he’s all fresh helado, flowing Malbec and slick dance moves. And the next he’s diesel fumes, catcalls and shoulder checks. My Spanish is coming along day by day, my favorite Lunfardo slang word so far: quilombo, which basically means cluster f--k. Buenos Aires has been good to me though and I’m a true fan. Some initial imprints:

Mullets & Ratails: The variety is downright impressive. Dreadlock ones, long braided ones, shorty perm-like ones, hot soccer player ones. I'm starting to want one. Yes.

PDA: The cheek kiss, men hugging without the stigma of 'looking gay', teens going to town against the nearest building wall. It’s on. All the time.

Street Music: Anywhere, anytime. Tango, lambada, cumbia, reggaeton, jazz, rock and jam bands on every other corner.

Hand Gestures: The Italian past time is in full effect here. My favorite is the criss crossing of the finger on the lips to signify keeping a secret. Or the brushing of the right hand under the chin for "no se". Two hands for "no tengo idea".

Cutsies: Um, hi, um. No I wasn’t standing in line behind the counter with things to purchase. No, go ahead. Hi.

"Que quilombo"!